The John Perkins Scholarship was established to assist band students who attend one of the three schools where Mr. Perkins taught: Goochland High School, Highland Springs High School, and Powhatan High School. Band members who are Freshmen, Sophomores or Juniors during the 2017-2018 school and who intend to continue in the band program the following year are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
Application and Selection Process
One scholarship of up to $500 will be awarded in 2018 to the student the Richmond Concert Band’s John Perkins Scholarship Selection Committee chooses from those who apply.
The award may be used to help pay for the following:
- Private instrument lessons (brass, woodwind or percussion only)
- Summer band camp (tuition, room & board)
- Instrumental clinics (tuition, fees)
The 2018 application period will begin on February 1 and close on March 15. All applications (and all accompanying materials) must be received by March 15. The Richmond Concert Band’s John D. Perkins Scholarship Selection Committee will review the applications and select the recipient by April 15.
The name of the student chosen will be announced publicly at the band’s May concert.
Applicant must submit:
- Information sheet (download from the band’s web site).
- Essay explaining what you intend to use the money for, how it will benefit you and your school’s band program, and why you are a good choice to receive the scholarship.
- Letter of recommendation from your band director.
Send the information sheet, essay and letter of recommendation to the address below.
Richmond Concert Band
ATTN: Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 268
Richmond, VA 23218
Note: The award will be sent directly to the institution or organization hosting the event you plan to attend. If you are going to take lessons, the money will be sent directly to the teacher. The award will cover your costs to attend a camp (tuition, room and board), take lessons, etc. for an amount up to $500.00.